Here are some lessons I am learning, with my most recent surgery to remove a mass in my abdomen. With my cancer history, this is always a very scary thing. I don't want to stay down, when life hits with this kind of force, but I do want to pause, learn, and here I am sharing the experience during the thick of it. When I am still trying to overcome the challenges. I want to come out of this with better purpose and perspective. I hope by being vulnerable (also scary for me) and sharing, you or one of your friends can learn the lessons without physically going through the same challenges/pain/struggles. So here it is, the lessons I am being made aware of and trying to learn from right now in real (still raw) time:
Whatever challenge you are dealing with right now...First of all, I am sorry you are dealing with it! I know it really sucks. Take some time to really feel the weight of it, but I hope you choose to not stay there. We all have a precious finite and unknown amount of TIME. Let's go make the best of it!
These are my top 7 ways to celebrate a Fitness Inspired Summer! I would love to hear either your favorite item(s) on the list to enjoy this summer and if you have any to add. Here's to a Happy & Healthy Summer! Cheers (with fruit infused water of course ;))
Most of us have routines. Every day we wake up, brush our teeth, get ready for work, drive to work, I could keep on going but you get the picture. We don't even think about many of these activities because they are so ingrained in our routines and habits. Why not add a shot of health to that routine?!
At Fitness Inspired we have identified some common activities that can act as a trigger to a healthy behavior. Check out the list below for some healthy combos that you can add to your day to help you live a healthier life without any extra effort once the habit and trigger are successfully paired!
Here's my challenge for you, pick ONE from this list you think seems enjoyable and you would like to do more of. For example, I would like to stretch more so I am making a commitment that I will NOT make a cup of coffee for myself without stretching. Turning on the Keurig is my trigger, hitting "brew" is my trigger to stretch.
These are just some healthy triggers that we are using in our everyday lives! We would love to add more to our repertoire so comment below and share with us your ideas of healthy triggers(:
Also, it is so important you are committed that EVERY time you do the trigger you MUST do the healthy behavior you are practicing, so you can experience the benefits of the behavior turning into a habit! There are so many days that my little ones are tugging or crying for me, but I include them in my process of my coffee/stretching habit pairing. You can do this too!
While celebrating the Fitness Inspired Winter Olympics, we discussed Olympic life hacks. We took parts of Olympic athlete's regimens to see what we could use in our own lives. Below are a couple of ideas and strategies that we could use in our daily routines to help us be the best in life!
Rehearsal and Imagery
Rehearsing your "perfect race" in your mind can go a long way towards having success. It is important to see yourself completing a task before even starting it!
To be great at anything you have to have heart. You have to believe that you can do it before you do! Also cardio and anaerobic exercises are important for heart health!
No Olympic athletes would've been in PyeongChang with out great coaches! Coaching is effective in all aspects of life and we can all benefit from having great coaches.
Who you practice with and spend your time around is key! Research shows we act like and share the same passions as the people we spend the most time around.
Comment below and share with us some of the Olympic athlete life hacks that you use! Or tell us how you were able to use some of the ideas that we came up with (:
If you read past blogs, you know that we are focusing on four daily disciplines in the month of January. Another discipline that we are focusing on is adopting new healthy habits. Adding little challenging things to our daily routines that can help us live long and prosper(shout out Star Trek)! Here are some of our ideas to get you started:
Feel free to adopt some of these for yourself!
Comment below with some new healthy habits that you plan on challenging yourself with in the New Year (:
Yay! I have this delicious and super healthy recipe to share with you guys. My cousin and friend, Jane, created this easy and healthy meal, and it is AMAZING!
Jane similar to me, is a busy mom that is trying her hardest to have a healthy lifestyle for herself and for her family. We were laughing and catching up and got into the topic of food prepping, our picky eater kiddos, and prioritizing mealtime in a household full of activity and activities. If we can do this-- you can too! You have to try this recipe and tell us what you think! Check out the ingredients and steps below
1 lb ground turkey
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
4 cups raw cabbage chopped
4 cups mushrooms chopped
Brown your turkey in the toasted sesame oil and soy sauce with garlic powder and onion powder to taste. Set aside.
Sauté cabbage with olive oil or preferred oil and garlic powder to taste. Set aside
Sauté mushrooms in olive oil or preferred oil.
Toss together your ground turkey, cabbage, and mushrooms.
Spoon mixture into lettuce leaves for extra crunch!
This recipe makes 4 servings and they are around 240 calories each depending on oils used to cook.
We kicked off the New Year with a lot of focus on goals. We are still a long way from achieving everything that we want to achieve in 2018, but we are well on our way (check out our 18 goals for 2018). Having a strategy is important to tackle any task at hand. So we set out and developed a 5 step plan to help you achieve your goals!
1. Pick a goal setting technique or theme that you'll love and have fun with!
2. Find a good why? Why do I want to achieve a goal? Is it for just myself or also to help others? Making goals with a more meaningful why will help hold you more accountable and motivated towards working to achieve them.
3. Take action steps towards your goals. You need to have little steps along the way to keep you motivated and moving forward. It helps if they are SMART goals! SMART goals are goals that are Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time Bound.
4. When working towards your goals try not to focus on reaching specific numbers. Instead, focus on the process. For example, don't fret over trying to reach a certain number on the scale, focus on what will get you there. This means fueling your body better and moving more! If you're finding some things just aren't working, adapt and adjust as necessary!
5. Track your progress towards your goals and celebrate your achievements along the way!
We use these 5 steps at Fitness Inspired! Its amazing to see the progress that people make each month! Try these at home or within our Fitness Inspired community. Comment below and share your successes with us(:
2018 is here and as always, we're planning on ROCKING this year! Before the holiday break and during the four day challenge we asked you, Fitness Inspirers, for input of what you want to accomplish during 2018.
Throughout this year we will be tracking our success with each goal that we accomplish. Some should be easy and some most likely will prove to be very challenging. We are excited to tackle this list together and believe in YOU to help complete the list! Without further ado here are the 18 things we want to accomplish in 2018:
I did a family list of 18 in 2018 as well! Both lists were so much fun to do! If you are feeling inspired I would love to see your lists on social media or here in the comments (tag me on instagram @FitnessInspired_Kiersten). It is going to be a great year!
Its time to KISS (keep it simple!) in the New Year with Fitness Inspired! We are keeping it simple in the month of January by focusing on four daily disciplines to help improve our lives. One of the disciplines that we want to practice everyday is finding a way to make a healthy habit more convenient. Just little things that can save time or help make life easier for ourselves. Here are just some of the ways we are making our healthy habits more convenient at Fitness Inspired (:
There is something very magical about the holidays. The season is filled with holiday cheer, beautiful decorations, snow (hopefully), and spending quality time with family and friends. Often times, however, that quality time comes along with what people consider to be the enemy of their health and fitness goals... HOLIDAY PARTIES. However, I believe these parties have no reason to knock people of track, because there is a way to balance the fun times while prioritizing your fitness goals at the same time. Fitness Inspired is here to show you how with 8 Fabulous Tips to ROCK and feel great about any holiday party before and after…
1. Water or Tea: Drink 2 glasses of water or hot tea before leaving the house
2. Plan Parties: Schedule and plan for your holiday parties—remember YOU don’t have to attend EVERY party you are invited to…
3. Bring a Dish: If it is a bring a dish to pass—then bring something healthy that you know the ingredients that are in it and you feel great about snacking on throughout the night.
4. FI Approved Snack: Regardless of what kind of gathering it is, eat a FI approved snack or meal before you go.
5. Dress It Up: Get ready with an outfit you feel confident in and stand up tall with a smile.
6. Remember The Reason: The reason for the season for you; the reason you are going to the party and keep it all in perspective while you hustle and bustle to “fit it all in.”
7. Make Your Choices: I want you to embrace living fitness inspired as a lifestyle so that means you should live your life in the way you want but with the positive impact of fitness inspiration woven in your decision making process. If this is a party you are going to splurge at…decide whether you want to splurge with a couple cocktails or a dessert. You should feel great about a planned splurge with family and friends when you did your homework that day, followed these tips for the party, and did your hour of physical activity!
8. Have FUN! Life is too short to put yourself down and to worry your way through making ends meet. You deserve to have fun, you deserve to feel great about what you have accomplished, you deserve to feel empowered by the belief in yourself and that you have the ability to make your life fulfilling!
Comment below what you are going to do to stay successful during your holiday parties this season! Let me know if you have any other tips and tricks to stay guilt free this season!
I am a passionate, adventure-seeking, fitness entrepreneur who loves having fun, my family and friends, a challenge, and creating a positive impact (to name a few :))!